In other news, DRM abuse has once again reared its ugly head and a customer has apparently lost all her purchased e-books with only a vague explantion. Techdirt has more details about this isolated incident. Since the big retailers consider e-books to merely licensed, they can't truly be free. Because of this, unless there are strong objections, the free E-book category will be limited to non-DRM products (mostly just Smashwords), starting tomorrow.
[Art from "Famous Explorers: 'Saturn'" in comics below."]
At Author's Site: "The Hook" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Horror.
"You’ve heard about the Hook. These days, it seems everyone has. Some books on urban legends say the tale was devised in the 1950s to scare teenagers away from parking"
At Mad Scientist Journal: “Lenny” by Keith Baldwin. Horror. [Via SF Signal]
"He’s been tinkering with his machine for as long as I’ve known him–at least the past three years–but I never really took it seriously."
At Nightmare Magazine: "Afterlife" by Sarah Langan. Horror.
"The time was now. The place was her mother’s townhouse in Astoria, Queens, from which she’d soon be evicted. Magic lived here. So did monsters."
At Daily Science Fiction: "The New Kid Is No Angel" by James Valvis.
At Every Day Fiction: "A Breath of Wheat" by Jakob Drud. Science Fiction.
At 365 Tomorrows: "The Thinking Cap" by Patricia Stewart. Science Fiction.
At Yesteryear Fiction: "Barth & Belle" by Jordaine Givens. Fantasy.
At Free E-Books Daily:
- Dark Secrets by Matthew W. Grant. Horror YA.
- The Moonlight in Genevieve's Eyes and Other Tales of Horror by D Krauss.
- Wicked Hungry by Teddy Jacobs. Fantasy. YA.
- Raft People by ML Katz. Sci Fi - Post Apocalyptic Thriller.
- With This Ring by Tina Starr. Horror.
- The Vivisectionist by Ike Hamill. Horror.
- The Ghost of Squire House by Joanne Pence. Fantasy. Romance.
- Botanica Blues by Tristan J. Tarwater. Horror.
- A Hollow Dream of Summer's End by Andrew Van Wey. Horror.
- Bottomland by Curtis Hox. Horror.
- I Dream of Zombies by S.D. Rasheed. Horror.
- Symphony of Blood by Adam Pepper. Horror.
Via Pixel of Ink: Origins (Spinward Fringe) by Randolph Lalonde. Science Fiction.
Via Pixel of Ink: Bob Moore: No Hero by Tom Andry. Superhero.
- "Joe" by G J Lee. Paranormal. 5k.
- "The Lord of the Dead" by Sekou Gaidi. Fantasy. 2k.
- Yellow Horizon: War of the Auras by Jessica Acosta. Contemporary Fantasy. 102k.
- "Blood Lust (Ever-Presence)" by Katelin Ballinger. Contemporary Fantasy. 55k.
- "Survivor's Tale: Grandchild's Lament" by Sean Roney. Zombies. 2k.
- "I, Horror" by Anthony North. Horror. Flash Fiction Anthology. 19k.
- "Payback" by Belinda Frisch. Horror. 5k.
- "In Night's Shadows" by Steve Smy, Horror. 9k.
- "Halloween Treats" by Nathan Rowark. Horror. 1k.
- "The Grandfather Army" by Ray Daley. Science Fiction. 1k.
- "Ashes" by Mike Ramon. post-apocalyptic. 1k.
At Free Reads: "Lovestory" part 1 by James Patrick Kelly. Science Fiction.
first published in Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine in June, 1998.
At Cthulhu: The House on the Borderland parts 4 & 5 by William Hope Hodgson. Horror.
At StarShipSofa: "Among the Beautiful Living Dead" by Sean Williams.
At Atomic Kommie Comics: "First Man to Reach the Moon" Sci-Fi. 1951.
At Atomic Kommie Comics: "Famous Explorers: 'Saturn'" Sci-Fi. 1951.
At The Comic Book Catacombs: "Curse of the Jabberwock" Horror. 1954.
At Crime and Punishment: "Corpse that Wouldn't Sleep" Horror. 1952.
At Diversions of the Groovy Kind: ""Corpse by Computer!" Horror. 1974.
At The Horrors of It All: "Man Who Owned a Ghost / Vampire, Beware!" Horror. 1952.
At Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine: "The visible Invisibility Helmet" Sci-Fi. 1948.
At Seduction of the Innocent!!: "Ultimate Destiny" Horror. 1954.