More good freebies today. More as soon as possible (likely tomorrow).
At Black Gate: "“A Phoenix in Darkness” — Part III" by Donald S. Crankshaw. Fantasy.
"Nathan’s eyes were filled with a darkness that crept into his mind, dampening thought and feeling. He was weightless, formless, empty. He would have wondered whether he were dead had he been capable of any thought at all."
At Daily Science Fiction: "My Mother's Shadow" by Henry Lu.
"My hand is in the firm clutch of my mother's, my steps timid alongside her sure stride. I am almost as tall as her shoulders."
At L5R: "Dark Worship" by Shawn Carman. Fantasy.
"In the Colonies, the Spider Champion makes agreements necessary for the survival of his clan. Meanwhile, in the Empire, the ramifications of the Empress’s bargain with Daigotsu continue to be felt by the members of the Great Clans."
At The WiFiles: "My Trip Home" by Adam Sprague. Speculative Fiction.
"Over the last year, my wife, Tara, was doing her best to patch the hole left by my absence. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been doing the same."
Reviewed at BestScienceFictionStories.com: "Border Guards" by Greg Egan. 1999.
"In the early afternoon of his fourth day out of sadness, Jamil was wandering home from the gardens at the centre of Noether when he heard shouts from the playing field behind the library."
- At 365 Tomorrows: "Prometheus Station" by Patricia Stewart. Science Fiction
- At Quantum Muse: "In Her Eyes" by Michael Bishop.
At Author's Site: The MVP Episode #4 by Scott Sigler. Science Fiction. Football.
"It's the conclusion of "the game" against the Prawatt. Either Quentin and the Krakens win the game and their freedom, or they lose and their Sklorno teammates are as good as dead."
At Cthulhu: The House on the Borderland part 6 by William Hope Hodgson. Horror.
Old Time Radio
At SFFAudio: Podcast #185 with Escape – "Treasure, Inc." and Suspense – "Always Room At The Top."
- Audio at CrimeCityCentral: "Dead Drunk" by Lia Matera.
- Audio at PRI: Selected Shorts - "The Twenty-Seventh Man" by Nathan Englander.
- Audio at Tales of Old: "Repatrated" by Bryan Wein. Historical Fiction. Western.
- Fiction at Project Gutenberg: Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. Mystery.
- Flash Fiction at Every Day Fiction: "We Won't Be Right Back" by Davian Aw.
"Hence, viper thoughts, that coil around my mind, Reality's dark dream! I turn from you, and listen to the wind, Which long has raved unnoticed."