[Art from The Graveyard Shift, linked in audio fiction below]
• At Baen: "The Sorcerer of Daigawa" by Jon F. Merz. Fantasy.
"The stone fortress looking skyward looked as if it were erupting from the lush green of the valley floor. Towering walls of granite mined from a quarry many leagues to the east overlooked the river hewing its way between the Daigawa Mountains on either side. High above, towers and ramparts afforded the guards a perfect vantage point on every approach. It had been designed to thwart attack from any angle. To a traditional warrior, the fortress appeared insurmountable; it would take a large army prepared to lay siege for months to overcome its defenses."
• At Buzzy Mag: "Callie's Song" by Gary K. Shepherd. Science Fiction.
"Callie walked forward into the lights and saw the thousands of silent, expectant faces turn toward her. For a moment, she felt pure panic, for the sight had awoken in her the memory of an old nightmare. Then she took a deep, steadying breath, opened her mouth, and began to sing."
• At HiLobrow: "The Man with Six Senses - part 6" by Muriel Jaeger. Science Fiction.1927.
“We agreed that he must get ordinary work for a short time,” Hilda went on, a little uneasily, as it seemed to me, “until he was ready to undertake something better; but I didn’t want him to accept anything as tiresome as this. He did it himself in a fit of disgust with employment agencies. They are depressing places, you know.”
• At HiLobrow: "The Moon Men - Part 8" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Science Fantasy. 1925.
"from Julian 5th’s crash-landing on the moon, where he encounters subhuman Kalkars who dwell in the asteroid’s hollow interior; to the same Julian’s doomed effort to defeat a Kalkar invasion of Earth"
At Free eBooks Daily:
- Waiting to Die by Richard M. Cochran. Zombie Fiction.
- River's Heart by Kimberly Steele. Vampire Fiction.
- Wolfkind by Stephen Melling. Horror.
- Fireheart by Giulietta Maria Spudich. Fantasy.
- The Spirit Of A Witch by Sarah Jane Avory. Fantasy.
- Trainland by Richard Denoncourt. Dark Fantasy.
- The Locket Thief by Daniel Patrick. Fantasy.
- Bleeker Hill by Russell Mardell. Fantasy.
• At SFFaudio: "The Body Snatcher" by Robert Louis Stevenson and "Afternoon At Schrafts" by Gardner Dozis, Jack Don, and Michael Swanwick.
"Beginning it seems in the mid-1970s Dudley Knight, a U.C. Irvine professor of drama, voiced a series called The Graveyard Shift on KPFK, Los Angeles. The purpose was to tell stories of the macabre. His broadcasts aired weekly with shows of variable length (between half and hour and two and a half hours)." Unfortunately, most of the titles in this series are listed at The Pacifica Radio Archives as "currently on a 1/4” reel tape and has not been digitally preserved" and the only additional episode I could find is H.P. Lovecraft's The Whisperer In Darkness (streaming in four parts on YouTube) Parts One, Two, Three, and Four.