A pulp fiction writer and military veteran who served in World War II, Burks wrote numerous Science Fiction and Weird Tales type stories in the era just before "The Golden Age of Science Fiction"
At Project Gutenberg:
• "Monsters of Moyen" Science Fiction. 1930. In Astounding Stories of Super-Science April 1930
"The Western World shall be next!" was the dread ultimatum of the half-monster, half-god Moyen!"
• "Earth the Marauder" Science Fiction. 1930. Parts One, Two, and Three.
"Out of her orbit sped the teeming Earth--a marauding planet bent on starry conquest."
• "Manape the Mighty" Science Fiction. In Astounding Stories, June, 1931.
"High in jungle treetops swings young Bentley—his human brain imprisoned in a mighty ape."
• "The Mind Master" Science Fiction. First published in Astounding Stories January and February, 1932
"'Let’s hope the horrible nightmare is over, dearest,' whispered Ellen Estabrook to Lee Bentley as their liner came crawling up through the Narrows and the Statue of Liberty greeted the two with uplifted torch beyond Staten Island.."
• "Lords of the Stratosphere" Science Fiction. First published in Astounding Stories March 1933
"High into air are the great New York buildings lifted by a ray whose source no telescope can find."