Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday Freebies

As always, a variety of free Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and other cool genres from many cool sites.









E-Zines
Infinities edited by Keith Brooke. A free sampler of short stories, novel extracts and a complete novelette from infinity plus and friends. [via SF Signal] Complete stories [mostly fantasy/sf] include:
"The Man Who Built Heaven" by Keith Brooke.
"Last night I dreamed. The same old dream. The same old dream, and different every single time."
"Venus Macabre" by Eric Brown.
"Devereaux chose Venus as the venue for his last public performance for two main reasons: the stars cannot be seen from the surface of the planet, and Venus is where he first died."
"Wooden Horse" by John Grant.
"I wasn't born a movie fan. As I say, I was in my mid-twenties and studying for a doctorate when circumstances conspired to germinate an interest that I suppose, on reflection, must have been latent somewhere inside of me from the outset"
"Phoenix Man" by Garry Kilworth.
"The world's gone crazy lately. Eruptions, earthquakes, floods. Two nights ago there were meteorite showers in the northern hemisphere."
"One Step Closer" by Iain Rowan [crime]
"I mean it," the gunman shrieked, and he pointed the revolver at Ward, the end of the barrel moving in tiny circles with the shaking of his hands. "I mean it. One step closer..."


Issue #30 of Crossed Genres features "Luck" crossed with science fiction and fantasy.
"How the Goddess Came to Spring Flowering Valley" by Andrew Penn Romine.
"The food market at Hanging Cloud Gate was empty; the vendors had already scurried home ahead of the curfew drums. Not that there had been much to sell lately, not with the humans’ war driving all the farmers away."

"Little Magic" by Tom Howard.
"Uncle Seymour was magic. None of the grown-ups believed it, but me and my cousins knew strange and wonderful things happened whenever he visited."

"Luck Be a Lady" by Amy Sundberg.
"The day after I broke up with Death, I was in a bad mood. By noon, I was lounging on a pile of embroidered pillows, huddled over a pint of S’mores ice cream."

"Paid" by DeAnna Knippling.
"I came up with a solid time travel theory in 2007 and swore I’d never build an actual machine. I built it 2009 anyway; long story. If you’re reading this, it means you’re stuck here with me—or you are me."

"I Can't Imagine" by Sandra Wickham.
"My little brother had always been a little crazy, but as I watched him pace circles around my kitchen table I thought he might finally have taken a giant leap off the edge."


E-Fiction
@Daily Science Fiction: "This Life"by Lee Hallison.
"Hope grabbed at the railing as the surge of people pushed her off-balance. She hung on as she made her way down the rain-slick subway stairs, exhaling with relief at the bottom"

@Strange Horizons: "The Thick Night" by Sunny Moraine.
"She doesn't look at it the whole way home. She doesn't know how to look at it: you look at a person one way, and a thing another way, and the two are not the same."

@The author's Site: "Without End" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, from The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (April 1994). SF. Online until May 9, 2011.
"He stared at the black box. He could picture Geneva inside as she had looked the night before: black hair cascading on the satin; skin too white; eyes closed in imitation sleep. Geneva had never been so still."

Hub #139 is up with "All your needs and wishes" by Steven Ellis.
"The Universal Provider floats silently near the ceiling in the corner of the room. If its programming had contained anything similar to curiosity it might have wondered about the scene unfolding in the room below it."

@Science In My Fiction: “The Long Toss” by Gary Cuba.
"Hell of a way to lose, I thought, as I plowed my way through the detritus covering the parking lot."

Classic SF
@The Internet Archive: "Notice of Intent" by Phyllis Sterling Smith, from Startling Stories (Oct. 1952). [via Marooned - Science Fiction & Fantasy books on Mars]
"From Mars comes the wonder-drug Marcillin and a selfish plot by Earthly monopolists to corner the market on this precious new commodity."


@Munseys and Project Gutenberg: "Big Stupe" by Charles V. De Vet, from Galaxy Science Fiction (March 1955).
"Smart man, Bruckner—he knew how to handle natives ... but they knew even better how to deal with smart terrestrials!"

Reviewed
@BestScienceFictionStories.com: "Whisper’s Voice" by Elena Gleason (2010).
Reviewed with a link to a free online version.







@Every Day Fiction: "The Pale Farmer" by Rich Matrunick.
@Flashes in the Dark: "Decay" by Neil Leckman.
@365 tomorrows: "Librarians" by Noah Katz.
@Weirdyear: "The Night I lost Harry" by Deryn Pittar.
@The New Flesh: "Death by Limited Palette" by Kirk Jones.
@Strange Horizons: [Poem] "What Ray Taught Me" by Jenny Rossi.
@Sam's Dot Publishing: [Poetry] Scifaikuest Vol.8 No. 4.







@The Internet Archive: Lights Out - Will O The Wisp (1951). Episode 6 from the third season of this classic horror anthology. No description available.









@The Horrors of It All: "Demon From the Deep!" and "The Kiss of Death!" from Venus #19 (April 1952) Horror.



@Digital Comics Museum: Jumbo Comics #91 (Sept. 1946). Adventure featuring Sheena, The Hawk, and others.
@Ditko Comics: "The Man Who Disappeared" from This Magazine is Haunted #14 (1957)
@Four-Color Shadow: "Sir Prize" from Prize Comics (1945). Fantasy / Humor.
@Hero (& Heroine) Histories: "Thor: God of Thunder" from Weird Comics #1 (Superhero but not the Marvel Comics character).

Other Coolness

@Diversions of the Groovy Kind: [Art/superhero] A Thor comic book gallery.
@Secret Sanctum of Captain Video: Power Records Space 1999 "Breakaway" [video]

No comments: