@The author's site: "Red Man" by Scott Sigler.
"It’s as if she’s tuned out everything but me. I’m a focus for hatred born from protective, aggressive fear for her child."
@Lightspeed Magazine: "The Harrowers" by Eric Gregory.
"Christ, I thought. And then: Of course—P.K.: Preacher’s Kid. Should’ve caught that earlier. I finished off the Yanjing, then opened the cooler and unscrewed a jar of whiskey. I’d heard of harrowers before, but never met one alive"
@Subterranean Press: "Queen of Atlantis" by Sarah Rees Brennan.
"The poison tides came in one burnt evening in late summer, and everybody knew it was time for the princess to be sacrificed."
@Munseys and Project Gutenberg: "Rich Living" by Michael Cathal, from Science Fiction (Feb. 1955).
"No other planet in the entire Galaxy was at all like Rejuvenal ... it was the only world worth one's whole fortune for a short visit!"
@Legend of the Five Rings: "The Destroyer War, Part 9" by Shawn Carman.
"Kakita Hideshi’s arm was numb to the shoulder, but he did not pause in his kata. The ranks of the Destroyers were noticeably thinner, with many of the beasts having been killed or retreated from the fierce fighting near the heart of the village."
@BestScienceFictionStories.com: "I’m Alive, I Love You, I’ll See You In Reno" by Vylar Kaftan (2010). Reviewed with a link to the free story.
@StarShipSofa: Episode #187 featuring "Larisa Miusov" by Lucius Shepard.
"He would tell me stories. I think now they were true. They all take place in a huge room, an underground room bigger than a city, with machines and laboratories…but no walls dividing them. And always there were prisoners. Hundreds of prisoners."
@PodCastle: Episode #155 "Tending the Mori Birds" by Caroline M. Yoachim, read by Rajan Khanna.
"A Mori bird waited for him on the railing, its claws wrapped around the wood. The dying light accentuated the patch of red feathers at the base of its slender neck, the only color on an otherwise black bird."
@Dunesteef: Episode #101 "Becoming Brother" by Leo Godin.
"Billy is an outer, the lowest of the low. No respect from anyone. When his mother sends him out to gather weemer mushrooms for a recipe she’s cooking up, he has no idea just how much his life will be changing."
@Lightspeed: "The Harrowers" by Eric Gregory, narrated by Stefan Rudnicki.
See above in fiction.
@Cast Macabre: "Going West" by Elizabeth Creith. Horror.
@Lovecraft eZine: "The Rats in the Walls" by H. P. Lovecraft. Horror. Audio Drama.
- @Flashes in the Dark: "Lessons" by Lori Titus.
- @365 tomorrows: "Flare"by Asher Wismer.
- @Weirdyear: "The Man Who Fell Out of His Head" by Evander Arnage.
- @Daily Science Fiction: "Q is for Quit" by Tim Pratt, Jenn Reese, Heather Shaw, and Greg van Eekhou.
Signs and Portents #92 is available for free download with highlights including:
Traveller - "A sequel to Otherworld Blues."
Lone Wolf - "While escorting dangerous criminals, the players find their ship wrecked by a storm..."
RuneQuest II - "A haunted gulch for any RuneQuest setting."
Other Gaming Gems
- @Daddy Grognard: "An Adventure for Every Monster - Black Pudding"
- @A Field Guide to Doomsday: [Monsters] "Sluggernaut" and "Prowlasite" Mutant Future.
- @Zalchis: [Table] "Damned Things From the Skies"
- @Sea of Stars [Magic Item] "Hovering Hornet Bolts"
- @The Savage AfterWorld: [weapon] "Chainsaw Nunchucks"
- @A Character for Every Game: [Spells] "Elven Warder Magics"
- @Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets: [Magic Item] "Teeth of the Great Lizards"
- @Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets: [Spell] "Shadowleash"