Thursday, March 21, 2013

E-Books and More

Some great freebies today! And for more freebies don't miss the "Free SF, Fantasy and Horror" listing at SF Signal.  Regan Wolfrom is finally back from being committed to an asylum his "family vacation."




[art from David Drake's Northwood Trilogy in the e-book section]








Fiction
• At Beneath Ceaseless Skies: "Armistice Day" by Marissa Lingen. Fantasy.
     "I came into this world fully grown, ready to use my fists and my knife and my magic, intended for nothing else. When the war was over, I was one of the lucky ones. I was left standing on the cold hillside, mud and blood up to my elbows and knees, tingling with the last of my battle spells, and I was led away with my cohort, those who survived."

• At Beneath Ceaseless Skies: "Blood Remembers" by Alec Austin. Fantasy. 
     "The wall at the edge of camp was waist-height and broken in several places where stones had been taken for other construction. As Tariq, Ksara, and I leaned on it and watched the sky turn orange, I could feel the tug of Downlander blood coming from its stones, offering me memories of an atrocity long past."

• At Nightmare Magazine: "Jetsam" by Livia Llewellyn. Horror.
      "I’m writing this down because I’m starting to forget. I may need to remember some day. The chemical air is already kissing my mind, biting my memory away. Something terrible happened at work today. Beyond imagining . . ."

• At Paizo: "Bastard, Sword -  Chapter Three: Rich Man's Crusade" by Tim Pratt. Fantasy.
    "Rodrick lifted the sword defensively. As he swung the blade, an arc of whiteness flew from its tip and struck the dwarf just below the knees. The miner's forward movement instantly halted, and he swayed like a young sapling, his boots and calves frozen to the tunnel floor—which didn't stop him from swinging his axe wildly, to the limit of his reach."

Flash Fiction
E-Books
At Amazon:: "Soldier of the Brell" by David Scholes. Science Fiction.

At Free eBooks Daily:
At Smashwords:
Audio
• At Beneath Ceaseless Skies: "Boat in Shadows, Crossing" by Tori Truslow. Fantasy.
     "Just as we got set to cast off, I spied something in the water, and the boat sensed it too: flick of a palm-leaf tail. And we were off, so fast that the pots of tea leapt from the table and were on me like freezing rain and I was on the floor. The merchant yelled louder, shouting at me to stop it, but what could I do?"

• At Drabblecast: "Hullabaloo" by Diane Turnshek. Science Fiction.
     "The Town Council meeting was split down the middle — Hullabaloo colonists on the one side and Fenella Elane Tyne on the other. Jerram stood in the back and admired the way Fenella strove to convince the tired farmers."

• At Escape Pod: "Trixie and the Pandas of Dread" by Eugie Foster. Science Fiction.
     "Drifting a hairsbreadth above the pavement, Trixie pulled out her holy tablet and launched the Karmic Retribution app. The first thumbnail belonged to a Mr. Tom Ehler, the owner of the walkway and the two-story colonial house it led to. She unpinched two fingers across the screen to zoom up Mr. Ehler’s details."

• At PodCastle: "The Colors of the World" by Paul Willems, translated by Edward Gauvin. Fantasy.
     "Many years ago there was a small fisherman’s house on the dunes of La Panne. Rik-the-Fisherman’s wife Marie sat at the window all day long, spinning thread as she watched the sea."

• At StarShipSofa:: "Jackie’s Boy Part 2" by Steven Popkes.
     No Description

Other Genres

No comments: