Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Free Fiction - No Waiting

There's some extremely good free fiction today, with audio fiction from four of the best sites and great text and flash fiction, with a link callously cadged from the benevolent blogger, Regan Wolfrom of SF Signal. And as you likely guessed, there's more to come today. -Dave T.



Fiction
• At Nightmare Magazine: "Alone, Together" by Robert Kirkman. Horror.
     "She was dressed like a private detective from a low-budget TV show—a pair of slacks, modest high heels, and the most ridiculous trench coat I’d ever seen, one of the shorter ones, that hung just above the knees. I couldn’t help but laugh, and it was obvious my reaction annoyed her, but she did her best to hide her feelings as she pressed a finger to my lips, quieting me, and gently nudged me back inside my apartment."

• At Omni Reboot: "They All Looked Like Nails" by David Hopper. Science Fiction.
      "If there were more room in the cockpit of the Low October, Dr. Jonas Hengist would be pacing. Instead, he must settle for shifting his weight in glitchy artificial gravity, watching, for the second time in his life, the pale curve of Europa rise in the main viewer, the clouds of Jupiter looming large beyond. He feels the crew’s eyes on him. Jonas runs his tongue over chapped lips; it has been months since his feet have touched soil."

Flash Fiction

Other Genres
• At Clarkesworld: "The Promise of Space" by James Patrick Kelly, read by Kate Baker and James Patrick Kelly.
     "A clarification, please? Are you referring to William Shatner, who died in 2023? Or is this Chris Pine, who was cast in the early remakes? It appears he has retired. Perhaps you mean the new one? Jools Bear?

• At Nightmare Magazine: "Alone, Together" by Robert Kirkman, read by Alex Hyde-White. Horror.
     "She was dressed like a private detective from a low-budget TV show—a pair of slacks, modest high heels, and the most ridiculous trench coat I’d ever seen, one of the shorter ones, that hung just above the knees. I couldn’t help but laugh, and it was obvious my reaction annoyed her, but she did her best to hide her feelings as she pressed a finger to my lips, quieting me, and gently nudged me back inside my apartment."

• At PodCastle: "A Hollow Play" by Amal El-Mohtar, read by Tina Connolly. Fantasy.
     "So, I’m here, but Anna’s not , and I awesomely left Memoirs of a Space Woman at home in spite of knowing I’d have two hours to kill, so I figure I’ll just keep writing to you."

• At StarShipSofa: "Outbound from Put-In Bay" and "Water Finds Its Level" by M Bennardo. Narrators Amy H Sturgis and Summer Brooks. Science Fiction.
      "The more people talked between the worlds, the more it seemed like things were mostly the same in both universes—not exactly, but pretty close. According to the news, scientists were working on figuring out when our two worlds had diverged and whether they would likely “bounce off” each other or end up merging."

Other Genres
  • Flash Fiction at Every Day Fiction: "The Ring" by Saanchi Saxena,

No comments: