Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I'm Pickin' Up Good Free Fiction. It's Giving Me Excitations

Yeah! There's quite a bit of really outstanding free fantasy and science fiction this morning. Be certain not to miss any of the greatness.And mystery fans will want to check out the "other genres" for a couple of good ones. [Art from "Ragged Claws" by Lisa Tuttle in fiction and audio fiction.]






Fiction
• At The Colored Lens: "Another Life" by Michael Siciliano. Science Fiction, Slipstream
     "I stood on a hill, overlooking a city. A giant mushroom cloud dominated my field of view. White hot at the base. Yellow as it extended up. Red as it billowed outward. Dark gray at the rounded top. Each color shot through with streaks of black. It was beautiful and horrific at the same time. Larger than I could have imagined."

• At Drabblecast: "Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain" by Cat Rambo. Science Fiction Romance.
      "Over the years, Tikka’s job as a Minor Propagandist for the planet Porcelain’s Bureau of Tourism had shaped her way of thinking. She dealt primarily in quintets of attractions, lists of five distributed by the Bureau: Five Major China Factories Where the Population of Porcelain Can Be Seen Being Created; Five Views of Porcelain’s Clay Fields; Five Restaurants Serving Native Cuisine at Its Most Natural."

• At HiLobrow: "Herland -  part 10" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Science Fiction. 1915. 
      "When I asked her about it, she tried at first to tell me, and then, seeing me flounder, asked for more information about ours. She soon found that we had many, that they varied widely, but had some points in common. A clear methodical luminous mind had my Ellador, not only reasonable, but swiftly perceptive."

• At Lightspeed: "Ragged Claws" by Lisa Tuttle. Science Fiction
      "Last night, after a short struggle, I went out. It’s like that most evenings, the slow, silent battle between my desire to stay in, with my thoughts and dreams and memories, and the need to go where other people gathered. Much as I preferred my own company, no one, these days, was paying me to keep it. I lived as frugally as I could on what I’d saved, but the price of electricity had soared recently, and I was in the red again. If I went out, there was at least the chance of making money."

• At Lightspeed: "Bellweather" by Marc Laidlaw. Fantasy.
      "They had struggled for days through a wasteland of broken rock, high in the mountains, on their way through a pass that maps had indicated would take them to a country of promise. The first of the rocks were chipped and quarried, and showed signs of having been worked by artisans as much as by nature. But after a time, the unfashioned stone gave way to broken figures. The general impression was that a nation of statues, its entire populace, had been carried to the heavens and then dropped, so that all were shattered. Fractured heads and torsos, truncated limbs, toes and fingers of every size, from gnomic to gigantic, lay strewn from peak to peak, as if spread across the high mountain valleys by glacial action."

• At Strange Horizions: "ARIECC 1.0" by Lillian Wheeler. Science Fiction.
     "You are speaking to the Automated Road Information and Emergency Contact Computer, version one point zero. How may I help you?"

• At Weird Fiction Review: "The Divinity Student" by Michael Cisco. Part Two and Part Three.
      "Pausing in mid-stride, two black dogs stare at the Divinity Student as he emerges from the office. Recoiling, he claps his hands and steps backwards into the threshold; they scrabble headlong down the stairs with clicking feet — a bad omen. With a rustle of papers, he recollects himself and follows them down slowly."

Flash Fiction
Audio Fiction
• At Drabblecast: "Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain" by Cat Rambo. Science Fiction Romance.
      "Over the years, Tikka’s job as a Minor Propagandist for the planet Porcelain’s Bureau of Tourism had shaped her way of thinking. She dealt primarily in quintets of attractions, lists of five distributed by the Bureau: Five Major China Factories Where the Population of Porcelain Can Be Seen Being Created; Five Views of Porcelain’s Clay Fields; Five Restaurants Serving Native Cuisine at Its Most Natural." and drabble "The Octopus Train" by Jason Jones.

• At Lightspeed: "Ragged Claws" by Lisa Tuttle. Science Fiction, read by Alex Hyde-White.
      "Last night, after a short struggle, I went out. It’s like that most evenings, the slow, silent battle between my desire to stay in, with my thoughts and dreams and memories, and the need to go where other people gathered. Much as I preferred my own company, no one, these days, was paying me to keep it. I lived as frugally as I could on what I’d saved, but the price of electricity had soared recently, and I was in the red again. If I went out, there was at least the chance of making money."

• At 19 Nocturne Boulevard: "The Invader" by Alfred Coppel, read by Julie Hoverson.
     "Invading Earth was going to be a cinch, the Triomed scout decided. But to make certain he must study its inhabitants—as one of them!" from Imagination Stories of Science and Fantasy February 1953. Text here.

• At Protecting Project Pulp: "Letter from the Stars" by A. E. van Vogt, read by Josh Roseman. Science Fiction.
     "It was just a peaceful correspondence between two lonely shut-in strangers — but the destiny of the universe was to depend on the answers" first published in Out of This World Adventures, July 1950.

• At Strange Horizions: "ARIECC 1.0" by Lillian Wheeler, read by Anaea Lay. Science Fiction.
     "You are speaking to the Automated Road Information and Emergency Contact Computer, version one point zero. How may I help you?"

Other Genres

1 comment:

Beam Me Up said...

Dave! wow are you finding the great sites!
The Colored Lens is a high class online mag for sure! Thanks for finding them!