Now Posted: Aphelion #177 - September 2013. Science Fiction.
• "Intelligent Drain-o" by Rick GrehanPoetry
"A call from Uncle Mike could only mean one thing: it was time to update his insurance coverage."
• "Blue Plate Special" by Kate Thornton
"Everything came with a price, but this bill was staggering."
• "God/head" by McCamy Taylor
"There was only one place a couple of con artists of this caliber belonged: Congress."
• "Maggie's Farm" by Charles Ebert
"Try looking through a peephole without a grapefruit. Just try it."
• "The Devil Is In This House" by Peter Cushnie
"What could terrify a nun?"
• "Shirasawa's Rage" by Jay Hill
"The path toward the light may lead through the dark first."
• "The Lighthouse" by David Ames
"It was there--always present, bearing over him, calling relentlessly to... the teeth in the dark?"
• "Asteroid" by E.S. Strout
"A classic-style story about about a rock in space that was supposed to hold no surprises."
• "When Angels Dare to Weep" by Barney E. Abrams
"Ulira is a Weeper. Her one function is to cry tears that have the power to heal her Serpentine masters. When she runs out of tears, she will turn to stone. It has always been that way for her kind. However, things are about to change in Paradise."
- "A Hovercar's Tale" by Peter Ong
- "Aliens Are Not Superstitious About" by Les Merton
- "My Evil Step-Daughter's Bright Idea" by Richard Tornello
- "Down And Out On Orion & Pisces" by Richard Tornello
- "Frankenstein II" by Clinton Van Inman
- "Future Reflection" by Mike Wilson
- "Late Summer Sunset in Ramblewood, Texas" by Jay Hill
- "Titan" by Stan Wilkin
- "While on Pluto" by Denny E Marshall
• At PodCastle: "Nor the Moonlight" by Andrew Penn Romine, read by Cheyenne Wright. Fantasy.
"The robber had burst into my café waving his knife, surprising me as I locked up for the night. But he’d made the error of assuming I was just another veteran of the Great War, wrapped in a fisherman’s net of scars. He didn’t know I’d already died once before, that I had been raised from the charnel fields of Compiègne gifted with the heart of a bull and the sinewy limbs of dead men."
• At Wicked North Games: D6 Magazine 1-5.
Fanzine of the OpenD6 gaming mechanic. Definitely worth a look as they're downloadable PDFs, with no hoops to jump through.
• At Amazon: Rippler (The Ripple Trilogy-1) by Cidney Swanson. Paranormal. [via Pixel-of-Ink]
At Free eBooks Daily:
- Joe Devlin: And The New Star Fighter by James Thomas. YA Science Fiction.
- Red Written by P. T. Mayes. Dark Urban Fantasy.
- The Lotus Effect by Bridget Ladd. YA Steampunk.
- The Hedgepath Ghost by John E. Davis. Horror.
- Gods in the Machine by Marilyn Peake. Science Fiction.
- The Crystal Chalice by R.J. Grieve. Fantasy.
- Autumn Moon by Karen Michelle Nutt. Vampire Romance.
- The Color of Dusk (Dark) by Gail Roughton. Dark Fantasy.
- Alan Lennox and the Temp Job of Doom by Brian Olsen. Technothriller.
- Lucky Charms by Janae Bursey. Fantasy.
- The Gate Keeper by Jules Gabriel. Science Fiction. Romance.
- From Pinnacle Down by Tenda Spencer. Science Fiction.
- Essenced (The Division Chronicles: Book One) by Connie L. Smith. YA Fantasy.
- Johanna : a novel concerning Amsterdam by Christopher Rae. Paranormal.
- Kemla (Kemla Saga) by Cassandra Webb. Fantasy.
- Sons of Evil: Book 1 Book of Dread by David Adams. Fantasy.
- Genetically Disposed by Della Calentine. Science Fiction.
- The Crystal of Mamanoth (The Tynasian Sequence) by Robert J Clark. Fantasy.
- Antediluvian by R. M. Huffman. Christian Speculative Fiction