Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Free Fiction - Again!

 More goodies for all! And be sure to leave the light on for Regan Wolfrom, the free fiction maestro at SF Signal, who occasionally drops by to borrow a cup of links.












Fiction
• At Black Gate: "Assault and Battery" by Jason E. Thummel. Fantasy.
     "Chief Gunner Clap looked over the new detachment of soldiers, fresh from Portsway, and grumbled. How did he manage to get grouped with these turf-busters? Not a one looked seaworthy, and even the sunburned flesh of the men couldn’t cover the pallor of seasickness."

• At The Colored Lens: "China Island" by Julie Day. Speculative Fiction .
     That last day, Laurence slipped unnoticed from his home sometime between noon and three p.m., the three hour space between the meals-on-wheels delivery by Mrs. Heflin and the arrival of the nurse’s aide. Despite the tragic circumstances, no blame was ever cast on either woman. After all, Mr. Saunders had been found wandering numerous times before."

• At Daily Science Fiction: "Grief In The Strange Loop" by Rhonda Eikamp.
     "I lost my father when I was ten. His fault, everyone said. Shouldn't have left a boy of ten in charge of a machine like that. I'd lost my kid sister once already, a child's prank, the first day Pop ever allowed me near the dials, his hands that seemed too large for science guiding mine while Sis hovered in the background."

• At L5R: "Scenes from the Empire" by Robert Denton & Seth Mason. Fantasy.
    "“I cannot advise this course of action,” Takesaru said to his charge. They were crossing the sunset-shaded courtyard of the quiet temple, bands of pagoda-shaped shadows stretching long in their path. Voices were shouting from beyond the temple district, carrying even this far and steadily growing."

• At Strange Horizons: "My Lady Tongue" by Lucy Sussex. Speculative Fiction.
     "I was minding my own business, thinking of Honey, but cat curious I followed the groups of womyn drifting towards the clamour.  It was only when I was in the main square that I realised the offence was mine.  Ah well, I’d brazen it out—I’m nothing if not brazen."

• At Weird Fiction Review: "Rara Avis" by Bernard Quiriny.
     "What species is it?” I asked Doris. “A species that lays no eggs,” she replied. I stared at her, uncomprehending; there was something like fear in her eyes, as though the pale shell I held between my fingers terrified her. “Tell me what you mean,” I said, offering her a chair."

• At The World SF Blog: "Ratan Mirrors" by Geetanjali Dighe.
     "I am dying, Manohar. It’s been a long, hard life without you, but at least I met you in this life. Will I meet you on the other side? Will you be waiting for me, as you promised? thought Ratan, half-asleep, on the edge of death, in the middle of the night. Her old and wrinkled body lay on her warm bed."

Flash Fiction
Audio Fiction
• At Author's Site: "The MVP Episode #29" by Scott Sigler. Science Fiction. Football.
      "The Krakens take on rival Wabash in a battle of playoff hopefulls. A victory gives Ionath a winning record; can they get the win? And off the field, John Tweedy's rage spills out into Ionath City's club district and puts the entire season at risk."

• At Beam Me Up: "No Great Magic ch.1" by Fritz Leiber. Science Fiction.
     "The truth is that although he loves every last fat part in Shakespeare and will play the skinniest one with loyal and inspired affection, he thinks Willy S. penned Falstaff with nobody else in mind but Sidney J. Lessingham. (And no accent on the ham, please.)"

• At Clarkesworld: "Finisterra" by David Moles.
     "She remembers what Dinh told her about the ways Sky could kill her. With a large enough parachute, Bianca imagines, she could fall for hours, drifting through the layered clouds, before finding her end in heat or pressure or the jaws of some monstrous denizen of the deep air."

• At Drabblecast: "Trifecta XXV"
     "Try My Shank" by  Kenton K. Yee - "Morning Espresso at the Church of Me" by Anthony J. Rapino - "Dead Jimmy and the Selkie" by Iseult Murphy.

• At 19 Nocturne Boulevard: "Dreams In The Witch-House" by H.P. Lovecraft. Horror.
     "Whether the dreams brought on the fever or the fever brought on the dreams Walter Gilman did not know. Behind everything crouched the brooding, festering horror of the ancient town, and of the mouldy, unhallowed garret gable where he wrote and studied and wrestled with figures and formulae when he was not tossing on the meagre iron bed. "

• At Strange Horizons: "My Lady Tongue" by Lucy Sussex. Speculative Fiction.
     Described Above.

Other Genres
  • Fiction at Online Pulps: "Pierrot Pays Up"  [1932], "Morgue Reunion" [1946], and "Bloody Monkey Business" [1937]. Pulp/Noir.    
  • Flash at Every Day Fiction: "Tomorrow We’ll Be Anything" by Chaz Salembier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is an informative post review. I am so pleased to get this post article and nice information. I was looking forward to get such a post which is very helpful to us. A big thank for posting this article in this website. Keep it up.
frivallgames.com